Saturday, December 14, 2013

Potluck Squares Christmas Pillow

1-IMG_4135

Crazy Mom Quilts posted a really cute pillow last week.  As luck would have it, I had picked up a charm pack of that line a few weeks ago at the LQS and had to try making my own version right away!

At first I tried to include black in the red & green color scheme, but I had a hard time with the layout and decided to omit the black.

1-IMG_4103

I wasn’t feelin’ the love with the scrappy layout either.

1-IMG_4106

So I ended up going with diagonals of the same fabric alternating red & green.  (I had a charm pack of Pezzy Prints I included too.)

image

I quilted the front of the pillow with straight lines about 3/8” apart with white Aurifil thread.  The binding I copied from my friend Svetlana’s Autumn Penny Patch Quilt.  They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? 

1-IMG_4169

The back is envelope style with 3 buttons to hold the closure in place.  I didn’t think through the buttons though, and need to add room for the bulk of the cushion insert next time by placing the buttonholes closer to the edge of the flap.  The back is just solid Kona ash.

image

I think it’s a nice addition to our growing pillow collection on our family room couch.  Can you tell a quilter lives here?

1-IMG_4137

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Your couch looks so cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny, I was just reading Crazy Mom's blog post this morning and told myself I really needed to make a pillow cover like hers! Yours looks beautiful. I love the layout you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable, Jamie. I love the layout you chose, it's perfect. And you couch is looking mighty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely. All that quilts goodness in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell that a quilter lives there! A great quilter, in fact. Thanks for showing your thought process: it's great to see how others think through their sewing. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a beautiful collection! The new pillow fits in perfectly and those cute buttons...! A quilter´s home is always cozy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how cozy your couch looks with all that Christmassy quilty goodness all over it! Also really like your pillow collection is growing :)

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!