The title of the quilt really has nothing to do with the design. It is a Christmas present for my daughter’s teacher (for her almost 2 year old daughter). So my husband started calling it the A+ quilt when we were working on it, and the name stuck.
I wanted to use the new Wallflowers fabric by Allison Harris (Cluck Cluck Sew) and a bunch of stash fabrics for the red, blue, and yellow color palette. I love how the low volume grays, blues, creams, and whites make the bolder colors sparkle.
There were quite a few small squares left over from making the penny patches, so I used them on the back along with a scrappy star I made from leftovers too. I’ll have Bea sign the label of the quilt when she gets home from school today. She assisted with all the cutting, piecing, pressing, and pinning. Unfortunately my machine was skipping stitches like crazy and had to be repaired twice before it was fixed (and I’m sad to say it still skips stitches every once in a while—but that’s another post), so we ran out of time to do the quilting and binding together, but there’s always a next time!
I quilted a fmq flower in the center of each block and then used a decorative squiggle stitch over the seam lines to make a grid.
The finished size is 41.5” x 53”. I have quite a few favorites in the Flickr pool. You can check them out here.