Monday, January 16, 2012

#97—Waste Not or Wasteful?

I completed block(s) 97 for the Farmer’s Wife Sampler over the weekend.  Boy was it a toughie!  I ended up with two, not so perfect, blocks.  The second one is wrinkly because it was shy of 6 1/2 inches, so I experimented with sizing spray after making the block to give it a boost.  Now it’s a tad too big and wrinkly!  But I’m still gonna use it!!!!

056

They are [maybe] mirror images—I’m not sure!  The first one I made is on the left.  I used freezer paper.  First I printed the templates and then traced them.  I adhered the freezer paper to the right side of the fabric and cut.  But when I put the pieces together, it was backwards.  So, I threw away the interior pieces and traced the templates again (the same way) and this time ironed them to the wrong side of the fabric.  When I cut, the block was backwards AGAIN!  That’s the wrinkly block on the right.

At this point I realized I had used solids for the interior of the first block and went ahead and pulled them out of the waste bin.  I just flipped them over and put it together and this time it was not backwards.  What gives????  I know some of the instructions in the Yahoo Group advise you to reverse the templates before you print, but I printed in EQ7 and I adhered the freezer paper to both sides. 

At this point I should tell you that I am pretty good at math.  I graduated from the Naval Academy about 15 years ago and I spent a few very long months learning ship engineering and everything you ever wanted to know about the steam cycle.  I affectionately called that class “Death By Pipes.”  Once I understood exactly why some engines used high octane fuel.  I have no idea why now.  The truth is, I am not very inventive or original when it comes to math.  If someone explains it, I understand, but I don’t do well figuring things out on my own. 

So someone, please throw me a bone!

Here are most of the blocks I’ve finished so far.  There are a couple that are going to go on the back not in this picture (they didn’t make the first string team!).

054

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, not too good in the math department myself. Your blocks are beautiful! I'm working on some right now, but I have along way to go to catch up with you. Keep on stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics you're using! So bright! I'm only on block 12... you're giving me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, some blocks are just a major pain no matter what you do. I felt bad for you, all that redoing and restitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I love your bright colors. Could you give me some pointers on how you did your spoonflower labels?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy I can tell you I am not good in math. I always have ask. The fabrics you are using are so pretty. I have the book to make the quilt. But I have not attempted it yet. You are doing a great job.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!