I completed block(s) 97 for the Farmer’s Wife Sampler over the weekend. Boy was it a toughie! I ended up with two, not so perfect, blocks. The second one is wrinkly because it was shy of 6 1/2 inches, so I experimented with sizing spray after making the block to give it a boost. Now it’s a tad too big and wrinkly! But I’m still gonna use it!!!!
They are [maybe] mirror images—I’m not sure! The first one I made is on the left. I used freezer paper. First I printed the templates and then traced them. I adhered the freezer paper to the right side of the fabric and cut. But when I put the pieces together, it was backwards. So, I threw away the interior pieces and traced the templates again (the same way) and this time ironed them to the wrong side of the fabric. When I cut, the block was backwards AGAIN! That’s the wrinkly block on the right.
At this point I realized I had used solids for the interior of the first block and went ahead and pulled them out of the waste bin. I just flipped them over and put it together and this time it was not backwards. What gives???? I know some of the instructions in the Yahoo Group advise you to reverse the templates before you print, but I printed in EQ7 and I adhered the freezer paper to both sides.
At this point I should tell you that I am pretty good at math. I graduated from the Naval Academy about 15 years ago and I spent a few very long months learning ship engineering and everything you ever wanted to know about the steam cycle. I affectionately called that class “Death By Pipes.” Once I understood exactly why some engines used high octane fuel. I have no idea why now. The truth is, I am not very inventive or original when it comes to math. If someone explains it, I understand, but I don’t do well figuring things out on my own.
So someone, please throw me a bone!
Here are most of the blocks I’ve finished so far. There are a couple that are going to go on the back not in this picture (they didn’t make the first string team!).