Since I decided to make two more of the Greek cross quilts from the Across the Sea Quilt Along, I went ahead and finished up my "trial" quilt over the long weekend. I didn't wait to put the border on it or the fancy pieced back because I plan to make a 4 x 5 block quilt for Esther by this Saturday morning for her birthday, and then another larger quilt for myself out of the latest two
Denyse Schmidt Joann's collections.
I wasn't sure how I was going to quilt it because normally I would just do some free motion quilting all over it. But you see, someone has given me a HUGE roll (literally a bale) of polyester batting. It is the perfect size for a baby quilt, so anytime I make a small quilt,
I try to use it. Let me go on the record and say I hate this polyester batting and its poofiness. So, I peeled off one
layer from the batting and went for it. It was usable, but certainly not ideal.
The back looks good. I just winged a box in a box (no tape to guide me) and then straight lines using the edge of my
walking foot as a guide. It's bound with the stripe print from one of the cross fabrics.
Here's an up close shot of the quilting. You can tell my squares aren't perfectly centered or symmetrical, but I just
needed to get this quilt done so I could move on to the next one.
I've got some of the blocks done for Esther's quilt and hope to share a pic of that soon.