Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Shoo Fly {a finished quilt}

045_edited-2

Back in the fall of 2012, I saw a gorgeous Shoo Fly quilt on Sotak Handmade.  I few weeks later I made a quilt top with the same design, and happily it is a WIP no longer!!!

The finished quilt measures 60” x 72”.  If you want to make your own, I used this 12.5” quilt block tutorial on Quilter’s Cache, and adjusted the fabric choices for the squares so that the design makes a ring.

067_edited-1

Red, white, and blue is such a classic color combination, and after making the quilt top I got it into my head that it would be a perfect Quilt of Valor for a woman.  Keeping that in mind, I picked a dark blue with white star fabric for the binding to keep it patriotic. 

096_edited-1

I had a hard time picking  backing for this quilt.  The white with aqua pindots was a simple solution.  I like how the pindots give the fabric some liveliness, but the overall simplicity of the back makes the front really sparkle.

063_edited-1

I just meandered all over the front with white thread.

057_edited-1

I get a feeling of Zen using my longarm—I just enjoy doodling around and no more pushing and pulling the quilt through my domestic machine or sweating the stitch length.

;lk

Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

  1. what a perfect quilt Jamie. Love the binding and backing, too. And your quilting is simply fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful. Was the quilting a delight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for finishing WIPs! I love the way you cut the fabric for the binding. This quilt looks very summery to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. another gorgeous finish Jamie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire all of your finishes lately! I like starfabric almost as much as polka dots and the colors in this quilt are also favorites of mine. To me they totally say summer, beach, holidays... (Now I have to leave and look up quilt of valor.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shoefly quilt is LOVELY!!! I really like it and I love the binding, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt! Fun colours, and you chose the backing well, it does give it a light airy feel.

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!