I made stacks and stacks of polaroid blocks to swap via the Flickr Picture Perfect Polaroid Swap. Then I lost half the blocks (no joke). But I got my mojo back and cut out a new stack. Then I sewed a few together to see how they look. I followed the tutorial found at capitolaQuilter.
I found that you can use 2” strips to make the background, and I have one tip for making your blocks tip (ha ha).
Whatever direction you angle your ruler, your finished block will tip the opposite direction. Leave 1/2 inch at each corner so you will have at least 1/4 inch seam allowance. Don’t angle your ruler too much (see my block above—look closely at the tomato—it’s too tippy and a little corner was sewn off), or you’ll sew through the corner of your picture.
Now trim to 4 1/2 inches the other way. Again, make sure you leave 1/2 inch at each corner. Then you’ll end up with a perfectly wonky block like this. And yes, I use a broken ruler. Also, it is not the only ruler my kids have broken in half.
I try to be organized, and I found that it was easiest to sort my pictures into two stacks of blocks—ones I wanted tipped one way and ones I wanted tipped the other way. Then I just remembered to tip my ruler the opposite direction. Sometimes I would get confused (especially since I had all 3 kids in my sewing room) but I’d just remember it would go the opposite from how I cut.
I finished up two blocks with 12 pictures each today and also my bee block for July’s Beejeebers. Here’s a sneak peek, but I want it to be a surprise.
I also mailed out this vendor apron I made as a custom order for a local jewelry seller. She saw my apron at the Maker’s Market last summer and asked me to make one.
The front is separated into three pockets and the back is lined with denim.