One of the members of the Farmer’s Wife Yahoo Group posted a photo of her #4 Basketweave block on her blog and commented that she thought it looked somewhat Swastika-like. I decided to make the block just to experiment with the color placement.
I am splitting the construction of the blocks for the FWS with a partner with whom I swapped fabric, and she is making the basketweave, so I decided to make one that measures 12.5” and then one that measures 6.5” to put in the Farmer’s Wife Holiday Challenge. The larger block I will include in quilt for my brother-in-law; the smaller block will be exchanged in the holiday challenge swap.
This is the layout with the darker colors in the center:
Ultimately I chose to put the darker color in the outmost position. My two blocks turned out like this:
And then, ha ha!, when I finally uploaded the photo I realized I made the blocks wrong. So, I’ll be getting my seam ripper out and fixing the placement of the quarters and see how it looks.
I enjoyed making those blocks so much that I got busy and made a whole bunch more. I finally took the plunge and made a few blocks that require using templates and I had so much fun putting them together.