Monday, July 12, 2010

Using Leftover Scraps

So here are the two latest projects I've been working on...
First, I made Daughter #1 a HUGE sock money quilt about two years ago with Moda's Funky Monkey and Monkey 'n Round lines by Erin Michaels. It was one of my first quilting/sewing projects that I tackled after FINALLY learning how to load the bobbin thanks to the local Parks and Rec sewing class:) Anyway, I bought a fat quarter set of 25 or so fqs thinking that would be enough fabric, but because the blocks had to be fussy cut since the blocks are on point, I made so many cutting mistakes that it was like the neverending fabric buying extravaganza (thank you Over the Rainbow Quilt Shop for your low prices). So, I ended up with TONS of scraps. In fact, I probably have enough to make two more of this size quilt. Here's what I came up with with the leftovers:

I can't get over how cute these monkeys are! Sister-in-law Robin made a beautiful knitted monkey to go with the quilt.
Then, I finally finished hand sewing on the binding to the backing of this owl quilt. The colors are stunning in person.


I HATE hand sewing, so usually I try to self-bind all my creations, but lots of people prefer the heirloom quality of the traditional binding.
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!