Have you heard of the Sew the Library challenge hosted by Fabric Mutt and some other bloggers? It’s to encourage us book-buyers-but-never-makers to finally make some of those patterns we’ve always wanted to get around to. My friend CeLynn and I decided to join in the fun, because it’s always more fun with a friend, and picked a sweet quilt called Butterfly Effect for January. Hers is pieced; mine is still in pieces. But, I did finish another quilt from a book (in a record 3 days time, albeit it’s just a mini quilt and “based” on the pattern in the book), but it’s still adorable, still a quilt, and—most of all—still finished!!!
The idea for this mini came from the book Quilts, Baby! Oh, how I love looking through this book, and now I can count TWO whole quilts I’ve made from it (the other was this elephant quilt for a friend’s baby shower).
There are two reasons I decided to make this quilt—#1 I wanted to make something small with Liberty lawn and find out what all the fuss is about and #2 when I was thumbing through the book daydreaming about making something, I saw this quilt and realized it would make the perfect project for January’s Le Challenge theme…dots! A win-win if there ever was one!
I can report that I’m still not sure what all the fuss is about (in fact I accidentally bought Robert Kaufman lawn too—the green print—and I can’t tell the difference between it and the Liberty). I’ve bought quite a bit this past month to make a larger quilt and I wanted to practice on smaller pieces before embarking upon such a costly undertaking. Should I interface the fabric? What kind of fabric should I pair it with? What kind of needle to use? I asked a lot of bloggers and got a lot of advice. Based on all the advice I received, I ended up using Kaffe Fassett shot cotton in latte as the background fabric…and I bought a Juki TL 2010. Whenever I do end up making the larger Liberty quilt, it will be worth its weight in gold!
The background fabric is Heather Ross unicorns and the binding is an unknown Art Gallery color. The finished size is 24” x 24”.
I am having a baby in about 3 months and figure this will make a nice, light blanket if she needs one during April or May, and later it will make a super-sweet doll quilt or wall hanging for her room.
Just to recap:
- #Sewthelibrary project completed
- #Lechallenge project completed
- Practiced sewing with Liberty fabric
- Made my first handmade item for baby
- Bought a new sewing machine
That’s one heck of a finish!
Thanks for visiting!!!