Friday, July 25, 2014

Churn Dash Cosmonaut {a finished quilt}

Here are the final photos of my Modern Quilt Guild Michael Miller Challenge quilt.

067

The pattern is called “Unchurned” and comes from the book “Accentuate the Negative” by Trisch Price.  I followed the dimensions for the quilt but made the corner pieces 4 inches bigger than necessary and cut them wonky, but maybe not wonky enough for it to really show.

121

I tried to include selvages from every fabric used in the quilt.

025

There are many pieces that read Michael Miller or are the color dots from selvages. 

037

I thought it would be cool to include the color dots because really this quilt is about using all those colors—from new Michael Miller fabrics like Petal Pinwheels and Just My Type to mixing in Madrona Road and Whimsy Windows.  If the color worked, I tried to incorporate it in the quilt.

023

031

Using solids was also a goal for this quilt.  The solid dark gray is Michael Miller cotton couture in charcoal.  The coral is also Michael Miller.  The provenance of the green, grays, cream, and aqua is unknown.

097

The gray rectangles are quilted densely with back-and-forth lines. 

086

And each of the gray half-square triangles are quilted with big and small circles.  The top thread is dark gray and the bobbin thread is light aqua.  Getting the tension right took a lot of practice, but overall the stitching is really good.

096

The rest of the quilt is stippled densely with aqua thread on top and bottom. 

102

The different quilting styles give the quilt a nice texture that is not stiff at all.

I tried to get creative with some of the piecing.  This flower is pieced from yellow and blue fabrics.

091

There are several fussy cut cats.

111

And one bird.

087

A fun little curved piece.

112

A pretty yellow flower.

109

And some flying geese.

 128

The back has a pieced section…and quite a few puckers.  It was a major disappointment on my end.  I made the mistake of quilting the solid sections before the center section, and ended up with too much backing fabric in the center.  The good news is this quilt is going to hang in my living room, so no one will be the wiser, and it’s a lesson learned to always quilt from the center out.

162

The quilting on the back through these flowers is my favorite part of the quilt.

144

This quilt is entitled “Churn Dash Cosmonaut” for the fact that it’s a micro and macro view of a churn dash and the cat fabric is called “Atomic Tabbies.”  The song “Low” by Cracker may have had something to do with it too…

155

The finished size is 72” square.  I’ll be linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts and Fort Worth Fabric Studio.

085

13 comments:

  1. This quilt is amazing. Admittedly, I'm not a churn-dash kind of girl. Your take on a traditional block is so original, so modern -- and super fun to look at. Wish I had the pleasure of seeing it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, love it, I love a churn dash, but this is so much cooler than anything I've ever done

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. There are so many fun things going on without it taking away from the main design or being overwhelming. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - you have done an amazing job with this challenge. I love the churn dash blocks and the grey fabric. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BE STILL MY HEART ! I just love it. I want to stare at it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love love love it! Absolutely amazing work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jamie! I absolutely love everything about this quilt!! Using the selvages was a brilliant idea. And I love the mix of MM fabrics you used. Oh, and Churn Dash is one of my favorite blocks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really really cool! I love it - super fabrics and colours and quilting - there is so much to interest my eyes! It will be the centre of attention in your lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about it, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have outdone yourself! This is so amazing in every way. Thanks for sharing your process and so many photos. It has been so much fun to see all of the different things that were made from basically the same fabric collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fantastic Jamie! I love how you really focused on the details - you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jamie, this quilt is amazing. I so love all the fantastic piecing you did here, and all the different blocks, and the quilting, of course. It looks wonderful. I'm sure it will look amazing on your living room wall.

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!