Rachel at Stitched in Color is hosting a string challenge. When I saw the original post and the rule that strings had to be 3” or narrower, I knew exactly what I would make.
These are leftover strips from a quilt I made from a 1/2 yard bundle of Indian Summer. I had a few inches of each print left over from another quilt I made, so I cut the pieces into 3” strips and used my design wall to try to balance out all the prints in a somewhat improv kind of manner.
I used Kona Essex linen in natural for the background. As an aside—the Kona linen in natural is a slightly lighter color than the wide Kona linen in natural, but just a tiny bit. You might be able to tell in my photo that some of the linen looks a shade lighter than the rest. I ran out of linen about halfway through the quilt and ordered the wide since it was only a dollar more than regular width.
At first I didn’t want to repeat any of the strips, so I cut a few other prints from my stash, but I ended up repeating anyway. This quilt is destined to be a gift for a birthday boy on June 15th, so it can’t languish for long! I’m not sure what the exact size is, but definitely twin or larger. It’s so big it doesn’t have enough room to hang down from the clothesline. I’ve got the backing already made, just have to get it basted now.
I hope everyone had a wonderful, long weekend!