Sunday, March 17, 2013

Monday Link Up--Let's Get Acquainted!

When Beth from Plum and June decided to take her Monday link up party on the road, I was thrilled when she asked me to host. Although we have never met, I love her sewing style. She recently finished this sweet improv quilt that is absolutely adorable. Maybe we share some of the same tastes since we are both moms to three little girls?
monday link up

My favorite part of quilting is figuring things out. Not one to follow a pattern (or ever have success trying to), I like to just go with an idea and see what turns out, like this quilt top I made for the Pantone Emerald Challenge.

1-IMG_9229

This was my first time using triangles, so I just bought a set of templates called Tri-Rec rulers. Originally I planned for the oblong space to be a hexagon shape, but didn’t use equilateral triangle templates (whoops). So when the space turned out oblong, I put those little diamonds in there to fill up the centers.

1-IMG_9256

The rulers made sewing triangles together a breeze. I just wish I had used the right kind of triangle!

Now for the fun stuff! Here are the rules for the link-up party:

1. Link up any recent sewing/quilting post.

2. In your post or on your blog, please include either a text link or a button letting people know about this link up.

3. Visit at least the two bloggers who link up before you and everyone who visits you from this post.

4. WHEN THE LINK ASKS FOR YOUR NAME, TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PET YOU HAVE. My middle daughter wants a cockatiel for her birthday, and I keep thinking how cool it would be to have a magician make it appear at her party.





22 comments:

  1. I love your emerald challenge! It's beautiufl. I am a huge fan of white in quilts, but I'm scared to use it, becasue I know it will end up filthy.
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all that emerald green Jamie! Linking up in a day or so :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt top! I need to get my triangle on one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Emerald quilt is beautiful! I love the triangles, I've never sewn them and would love to give them a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And sorry - I have a terrible habit of not reading everything before pressing enter - I have three gorgeous cats, all of whom hate quilting because it takes me away from them...little do they know if I wasn't at home quilting I'd be out :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I didn't see the pet thing either. =) We have two hamsters.

    Your challenge quilt is gorgeous! I just found this link up and it looks like a great place to be inspired. Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a quilter yet.. But I am going to make a quilt soon.. Thanks for hosting. I added my sewing project.. Where is the button code I couldnt find it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooopsie! We live on a farm and have enough pets already.... Love your green quilt. It fits in nicely with yesterday's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt! Love all those yummy emerald fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks great! I am impressed that you don't use patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your triangle quilt turned out great. I haven't quilted with triangles like that yet, so give yourself a pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those rulers ARE great aren't they? Your quilt is lovely. The farthest I've got with emerald green this year is to buy a sweater.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt top looks fantastic- I'll need to remember to try those rulers at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I debated whether to follow the instructions or what everyone else did!

    The info under the link up is the "caption or title" and the "name" never shows up here--must be only for the host to see. I squeezed in both : )

    It's a cute idea to have the bird appear as long as it isn't too stressful for it, being brought to a new home and all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your emerald stars look great! Thanks for hosting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you found the way to change the design. Looks beautiful, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt top is just gorgeous! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your emerald quilt is just too beautiful! I love the extra little diamonds. Sometimes the greatest designes come from sth that looks like it wouldn´t work at first.

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!