Monday, January 7, 2013

A Lovely Year of Finishes

I am linking up the first of my Just Three goals to the Flickr group “A Lovely Year of Finishes.”  I just finished sewing the binding on this morning and am picking up my oldest from school a little early to head to the park for a photo shoot this afternoon (don’t tell her teacher!).

I thought I’d show a few photos of my machine binding process. The first few I bound by machine didn’t come out perfect, but just like with fmq, my machine binding skills get better and better with practice.

1-IMG_0457

I start by just stitching all the way around the perimeter of the quilt about 1/8 from the edge.  It is important to do this while your extra batting and batting are still intact!!!!!!!!  If you try to stitch after you’ve cut it off, you’ll get all kinds of puckers and pulls.  I learned this the hard way.

1-IMG_0463

This little one helped with the binding process.  Just so you know, I cut my binding 2.75” wide.  I can’t seem to get things to line up properly when it’s 2.5”.

1-IMG_0466

Love those Wonder Clips!  I like to just clip the binding onto the back and then mark my 1/4 inch stopping point with a straight pin.  I just sew right up to it and then backstitch.

1-IMG_0471

Here’s what the back looks like after I use a zig-zag stitch to attach the binding on the front. 

1-IMG_0473

The zig-zag stitch is nearly perfectly straight along the edge of the binding.  I find that as long as I don’t stop and start stitching too much or pull on the binding as I wrap it over, the stitches don’t arc.

1-IMG_0477

Here’s what a corner looks like. These stitches are not coming out in the wash!

1-IMG_0489

My first finish of 2013 is this quilt I designed for a Quilt Along that will start later this month.  It’s called “Easy as Pie” and the name says it all!  The pattern uses exactly every piece of a layer cake, has relatively little cutting, and comes together fast!

8 comments:

  1. Your binding looks beautiful! I also am in love with the wonder clips. They hold so tight and don't get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to remind myself to stitch that dang label on before I sandwich the quilt:) Your label is nice!

    Working with Little Apples too right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, how fun. Looking forward to seeing the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What rock have I been under that I do not know about wonder clips?? Going to have to check those out. As always your quilt is a sight to see Jamie :) Speaking of that,can't wait to see the whole quilt!

    Congrats on your first finish of the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little helper is so adorable (also loved the photo of her looking out the new ikea shelf the other day)

    Now I´d like to see the whole quilt! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you do your binding. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to invest in some of those clips. Love the way you do your binding, I am going to try it on the quilt I'm trying to jam on right now for my hubby's Aunt.... I just thought of it as we were discussing our road trip down to see them in a few days. Luckily I had something started already!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaak! I LOVE the binding on this. Such a perfect way to finish it all off.

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!