Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hourglass Stars Complete!

1-013

This finished quilt measures 36.5” square. I am really happy with how it turned out.

1-002

The Kona celery sashing is a buttery-green color.

1-007

The back is simply Kona ash.  I used gray thread from Connecting Threads for the quilting on the front and back.

1-008

I really like the look of stippling.  This is one of the last quilts I finished before my husband modified my sewing table, so I am ready to try some new fmq designs.

1-009

Do you machine bind or hand sew your binding?  I am so impatient that I nearly always machine bind everything.  The first couple bindings were pretty poor looking, but practice really has improved my ability to match up the zig-zag on the front and back.  There is only this one little hiccup where the black thread shows a little bit on the backing.

1-010

I cut my binding 2.75” wide instead of the regular 2.5”.  I attach the binding to the back and then stitch it down with a zig-zag to the front.  I don’t use pins or Clover clips to hold it down.  I simply feed it through my machine matching up the needle with the first binding seam.  It’s easy to get arcs if you are pulling on the binding, but as long as you don’t manipulate it too much, the zig-zag will be pretty smooth.  I think cutting the binding a little bigger reduces the need to pull on the binding.  The entire rest of the binding looks perfect like the photo above.

1-015

Linking up to Freemotion by the River and Fabric Tuesday.  If you are interested in making a similar quilt, this is the tutorial for hourglass stars.  Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Your quilt turned out beautiful! I always hand sew my binding on- I enjoy the hand sewing. Great job :)
    shawn@studio57artz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gorgeous, Jamie. I really love everything about it, the pattern, all the fabric you chose, and the black binding frames it perfectly. Just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colors.
    I hand sew binding. I like the look better even tho' I'm impatient too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very nice! I love the way your colors play together :*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT´S my favourite quilt of yours! The colors...the stars...

    I like the calm process of hand stiching the binding (and I´m very impatient when it comes to quilting)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilting and love the colors you picked. I always sew my binding on by machine because I seem to have so many projects going on all the time. I just do a straight stitch. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!